1881: Mr. A.R. Campbell has his furniture stock settled in the new Charles Mazzone building on Main.
1892: The sad deaths of David Muir and William Holt a few weeks ago in the Walsen mines continue to bring a great deal of commiseration for their families.
1898: The Gulf line will be known after the first of January as the Colorado and Southern Railway.
1905: $10,000 is to be expended to build a new school house on the hill because the school board has been renting the lower floor of the Pythian temple for the past three years due to the overcrowding of classes.
1910: Fred Klein has moved a portion of his Christmas and holiday goods across the street from his Palace of Sweets to the building formerly occupied by Stephens’ grocery.
1916: Walsenburg has eight outlets for groceries, including M. Martinez, Lorenzo Lenzini and Bro., Huerfano Trading Company, Sporleder Selling Company, Kriers Store Company, Abe Cutter, Cash Supply Store and the C.O.D. Store.
1921: The Liberty Stores, known as “The House of Bargains”, is offering ladies coats at $15.00.
1927: City Council passed an 11 mill levy for 1928, a reduction from 15 mills this year.
1932: Huerfano County High School Panthers and St. Mary High School Crusaders will face off November 11 as a part of the Armistice Day celebration.
1938: Unemployment in the United States according to the American Federation of Labor in September stood at 10,539,427. This is of an estimated total population of approximately 130 million people.
1943: All public offices, including city and county, both banks and the Walsenburg post office, will be closed all day November 11 for Armistice Day. The American Legion Post No. 16 will begin its annual observance at 11 a.m. at the courthouse with a speaker and patriotic music.
1948: Fox Theater this weekend will feature “Naked City” starring Barry Fitzgerald with Howard Duff, plus Roy Rogers and Trigger in “Night Time in Nevada” with Andy Devine.
1954: City Council gave preliminary approval for a 15 and ¾ mill levy, the same as last year despite a drop in valuation.
1959: Star Caywood, local realtor and insurance agent, has been named a director of the board of the Colorado State Chamber of Commerce.
1965: Larry King, Stanley Sandoval, Leo Maes Jr., David Velasquez and Robert Ariano were the winners in the local “punt, pass and kick” contest and are eligible to compete in the state meet Saturday in Denver.
1970: RBH Enterprises, Inc., has opened at 408 West Seventh Street with Don Blasingame, president, Gomer Richardson, vice president and sales representative, Dave Higbee as broker and Bob Pierotti as licensed developer.
1976: Pamela Crump, 311 East Seventh Street, has been nominated to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD, by Congressman Frank Evans.
1981: The county commissioners set $6.00 per day boarding fee for county jail prisoners on work release.
1986: The twenty-six children of Walsenburg and La Veta in Kay Konderla’s School of Dance will perform Friday for the Senior Citizens meeting.
1991: A Walsenburg chapter of the Optimist Club has been organized by George Birrer and 25 charter members. The club is dedicated to the children of Huerfano County and has already donated $250 to projects in Walsenburg.
1893: E. Frankenberry and Manual Guillen met with an accident in Will Adamson’s coal mine on Indian Creek in an explosion that burned them badly but their injuries are not considered life threatening.
1899: The new Denver and Rio Grande standard gauge opened last week and through trains between Walsenburg and Alamosa no longer have to stop here and transfer to or from the narrow gauge cars. The new road has a one and half percent grade compared to the old four percent, and required 26 bridges in 26 miles.
1904: J.S. Shearer has purchased the C.M. Green property, better known as the Higgins ranch, about four miles northeast of town.
1909: John Goemmer bought the property which used to be his home and blacksmith shop many years ago at the corner of Oak and Francisco streets for $600.
1914: Thursday evening two loaded coal cars got away from the Oakdale mine. One jumped the track at Francisco switch and the other ran into a string of cars on the main line near town, turning four or five of them into kindling.
1919: Mrs. Louise Springer has put a new roof on the old Goemmer blacksmith shop and made other repairs on the building.
1924: A domestic science kitchen at the high school has been completed and furnished with all the equipment to make the class interesting and of service to the pupils.
1929: Miss Gertrude, daughter of Bernard Hamilton and former resident, has purchased 48 lots next to her father’s place in northeast La Veta called Mountain View Place, a portion of town with a magnificent panoramic view.
1934: For Rent: Two furnished rooms, modern, clean and comfortable, desirable home for a couple, with garage, $7.50. Apply to H.W. Vasquez, Phone 13 R.
1939: Surveys are being made to determine the feasibility of a rural electrification project for Cuchara Camps and residents south of La Veta.
1944: Mr. and Mrs. Elbert Kitchen received a telegram from the war department Saturday informing them their only son Le Roy was killed in action in Holland on October 4.
1949: The mill levy in La Veta is 66.56 compared to 65.5 last year, thought the levy for the operation of the town itself is down three mills from last year.
1953: Saturday was Achievement Day for 4-H members. Winning awards were Jerry Geiser for tractor maintenance and Betty Willis in the home improvement category. Some 300 people attended the square dance afterward, called by Charles Ottinger.
1958: Huerfano County Chamber of Commerce is requesting Colorado Highway 111 be linked with Colorado Highway 12, a distance of about 18 miles, for an all weather route between the Cuchara Valley and Monument Lake.
1963: Cuchara received its first snowfall on Halloween with about six inches recorded, while in La Veta about half that was measured.
1968: Freshmen on the honor roll at La Veta High School are Brett Arnold, John Britton, Irene Duzenack, Mitzi Masinton and Mickey Schmidt.
1973: La Veta’s Number One ranked eight man football team will meet Number Two, Wiley, tomorrow in the state quarter finals at Wiley.
1978: Died, Annie G. Powell, 96. She was born in England in 1882 and came to America with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Hector, and siblings in
1889. She married the late Frank B. Powell in December 1926 though he died in 1960.
1983: The high school Redskin football team had an excellent record and high hopes but was beaten by Wiley 34-14 in Saturday’s quarter final game.
1988: Town Board voted 3 to 3 to grant a liquor license to La Casa Restaurant owned by Louise Maldonado and Marion Wolfe so the matter was tabled until the special meeting on November 14.