by Nancy Christofferson
1881: Dr. T.F. Martin has been appointed surgeon for the Denver and Rio Grande railway.
1889: S.H. Spill is burning a quarter million of very fine brick on the east side of town for Dr. T.F. Martin.
1895: Dr. T.D. Baird has obtained a share in two promising claims on Greenhorn near the Hayden tin mine. Prospectors are flocking to the mountain in search of tin and gold.
1900: The frugality of the old Jamestown planters has again been exemplified by the fine field of wheat and patch of turnips that Under Sheriff Griffin has growing in the court house yard.
1906: Heavy frosts this month have heavily damaged the alfalfa crops in the Capps district.
1911: Former judge John F. Read returned to Walsenburg after an absence of 20 years and thinks our city has grown wonderfully.
1917: A bazaar at Gardner will benefit the building fund of the Catholic Church for a parochial school.
1922: When the Spanish Peaks Circle Highway, also known as the Stonewall-Cucharas Road, is complete, southern Colorado will have a scenic highway that is destined to become nationally known.
1928: Leonard’s Coloradoans have been engaged by Archie Levy to play for a dance Saturday night in the Pavilion.
1933: John Shosky is remodeling the building last occupied by the Common Sense Grocery between J.C. Penney Co. and Schafer Market for a lunch and confectionery store.
1939: Two freight cars carrying approximately 60,000 pounds of wool left here last week, the first of the estimated $70,000 wool crop.
1945: After two years of service to 15,000 servicemen and women, the Walsenburg USO center will close its doors on Sunday evening.
1951: The seasonal “open collar” club officially began today with charter members John Dinise, Ed Stanley and Jerry Koplowitz leading the way.
1957: The famed U.S. Army Pipers, dating back to World War I, will again be a part of the Spanish Peaks Fiesta Parade in Walsenburg.
1963: The new I-Highway 25 bypass at the eastern edge of Walsenburg will be opened for traffic before July 20.
1969: Mr. and Mrs. Joe Feiccabrino have returned from New York City where they went to see their son Sparky receive his master’s degree in chemistry from St. John’s University.
1974: Died, Cervus Nicholls Stephens, leaving her husband Alfred H. Stephens and daughter Alfreda Bone. She was born in 1906 and came here in 1928, where she taught in Walsenburg High School for 31 years.
1980: Dr. Joseph Villalon will return to his native Huerfano County next month when he joins Dr. A.B. Vialpando and Dr. Solomon Villalon in practice at 119 East Fifth Street.
1985: George Galvan won the contract to build the new restrooms in the Seventh Street Park and three Walsenburg contractors are expected to bid on the estimated $25,000 project to build a new tennis court and new racquetball court in the Hendren Street Park.
1992: The First National Bank in Trinidad has purchased the former Otero Savings and Loan building at the corner of Sixth and Albert streets.
1876: Hiram Vasquez lost 1,600 of his 5,000 sheep in last week’s snowstorm, which hit right in the middle of shearing, reminding Uncle Johnny Albert of the June 13, 1843 snowfall in this area.
1883: The schedule for the 4th of July program will include an opening salute, flag raising, march to the grove, reading of the Declaration of Independence, school children with a song and oration, sack race, slow burro race, greased pig and other amusements, cannonade at dusk followed by a grand ball in Cozad’s Hall.
1892: John Dick and Mrs. Anna Prator were married at the home of George Dick on Bear Creek and will live at her residence on the Wahatoya.
1898: D.D. Ryus tore the old porch off the front of the La Veta Hotel and put up an awning. This is a little improvement but by no means takes the place of that old porch.
1904: Thomas Anson and his brother bought a block adjoining the flour mill and are building a residence in a pretty spot under the trees.
1909: O.J. Barker is conducting a fully modern saloon in the Galassini building on Ryus Avenue west of Ghiardi’s Palace Saloon and the Columbine Saloon currently under the management of Mr. Bergamo.
1915: Some of the young people and older young people are trying to stir up some enthusiasm in tennis.
1920: The town jail is no more. The magnificent structure which graced the Boulevard de la Ryus is gone, and somebody should write a poem and dedicate it to the building, which could have told many a queer tale.
1925: Pat and Pete Mayes will sell ice cream and soda pop from the Comet Van to tourists in Cuchara Camps this summer.
1932: Due to a conflict in the schedule, the Walsenburg Knights of Columbus annual picnic will be held at Sulphur Springs instead of Cuchara Camps.
1938: Members of the Snowy Range 4-H Club shared their projects Saturday and went on to the Sulphur Springs for a picnic with their parents, families and leaders.
1943: Mr. and Mrs. McKenna are operating the Ines Marie Beauty Shop until Miss Spangler returns from her vacation trip.
1949: Headquarters of the town government is now located in the old bank building on the corner while the old hall on Francisco undergoes remodeling to house the fire truck.
1954: Tonight at the Spur Theater, “Prisoner of War” starring Ronald Reagan. Starting tomorrow, Jane Russell in “The French Line”. No children admitted without their parents.
1961: The 300th telephone in La Veta was installed in the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Galvan by George Butero.
1967: Buddy Kaggel and the Hallmarks will appear Saturday night in the Spanish Peaks Cow Shed for dancing from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.
1972: 4-h Leader Gloria Jean Kreutzer and Junior Leader Nancie Aguirre hosted a picnic for the members of Busy Bee Cooking Club at the ranch of Mrs. Betty Bowdino.
1978: The La Veta Cuchara Chamber of Commerce will have a get acquainted covered dish picnic in Town Park Sunday June 25 when Reg Farber and the jazz band will entertain.
1983: Town Board approved the purchase of a metal building to replace the present maintenance building at an approximate cost of $48,000. The current structure, formerly the state highway barn, is being razed.
1989: La Veta Re-2 School Board has raised the base salary for teachers from $17,000 to $18,000.