by Nancy Christofferson
1877: For Sale – The Doyle ranch, including country store, hotel and post office, stock range, valuable farm and pleasant home, 18 miles south of Pueblo on the Huerfano River, 300 acres.
1883: A grand ball will be given in Gordon’s New Hall January 25 for the benefit of the Cornet Band.
1890: The Metropolitan meat market next to the post office is the daisy place to get something to eat. Just take a squint.
1896: L.B. Sporleder is selling his home ranch three quarters of a mile from town, including cows, horses, wagon harness, farm implements and other lands.
1901: A handsome iron fence is being placed on the stone foundation recently built about the Catholic church.
1906: School District No. 4, Walsenburg, will submit to the voters the question of a $12,000 bond to erect a new school building.
1911: A large barn and 32 horses belonging to the Rocky Mountain Timber Company’s logging camp at Weston burned to the ground. It represents an $8,000 loss.
1918: The pool hall next door to the post office belonging to Pete Hontus was robbed.
1922: Dr. A.A. Unfug has moved his dental office from the Kearns block to the ground floor of the building three doors west of the Klein Hotel.
1927: The exterior of the Star Theater has been painted yellow with black, green and orange trim.
1932: Died, Lena Virginia Willburn, 43, the daughter of Fred Stack. She leaves her husband, County Surveyor A.S. Willburn, and three daughters, Margaret, Thelma and Lena. She was buried in Gardner Cemetery.
1938: The Works Progress Administration riprap work between the railroad bridge and the South Main Street bridge over the Cucharas will be removed and the WPA will again replace it.
1944: L.E. Saleh, agent for the Railway Express company here since 1919 and longtime resident of this community, will leave for Greeley where he takes charge of the company office.
1950: Otto Unfug, former publisher of the Walsenburg World-Independent, was this week inducted as mayor of Sterling.
1954: Otto Unfug, former Walsenburg businessman now of Sterling, announced he would head a new publication named the High Plains Farm Journal.
1960: The Fox Theater is now showing “Journey to the Center of the Earth” starring Pat Boone, James Mason, Arlene Dahl and Diane Baker, plus a second feature, “The Lone Texan”.
1965: Rosemary Tafoya received as a Christmas gift a Braille typewriter from members of the local Lions Club.
1970: William Agnes, 80, died. He owned and operated the Agnes Mercantile in Gardner for 25 years. He leaves his wife Viola, seven children, brother Nick Agnes and sisters Virginia Dissler and Margaret Kalmes.
1975: The largest building permit issued in 1974 in Walsenburg was for the new Safeway Store for $450,000 and the second was that for the new Social Services building, $183,000, followed by a $75,000 permit for Otero Savings.
1982: Huerfano County Building Inspector Frank Noga, who has been operating out of his Main Street restaurant the past several years, is moving to an office in the basement of the courthouse, across the hall from the driving license examiner.
1987: Employees of the Safeway Store got members of the City Council to write a letter of support to store management to not close the Walsenburg store.
1879: Andrew H. Francisco was appointed by town board to be police justice and C.S. Lewis was paid $20 for his services and reappointed constable.
1884: A local group of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union was organized January 5 with 50 members. Males accepted for honorary membership were S.L. Strange, Reverend J.H. Brooks, James Boone, F.L. Martin, E.A. Johnson, Dr. J.F. Yancy, I.M. McCaskill and Reverend Darius Conrad.
1891: The first meeting of the new year for the town board will be January 23 in the office of Ryus and Cozad at their store.
1897: Some boys broke into the Presbyterian Church and stole the candy and gifts left at the Christmas party for those unable to attend the Christmas tree festivities.
1902: Colonel Francisco is building a “condition” on the southwest side of the plaza to be used as a kitchen, windbreak, shed, porch, veranda, closet or anything else that renters see fit.
1907: The local lodge of the Odd Fellows Wednesday installed as officers George A. Goemmer, W.T. Holmes, W.J. Hill, C.J. Rilling and E.B. Holmes.
1912: T.P. Steele’s new moving picture show in the Smith corner building will seat 150 people.
1917: More snow is falling today. Fortunately the old layer had about disappeared.
1922: The meat market at the bakery is now under new management and called Creek’s Meat Market, so Mr. Van Patten can devote himself to the restaurant and bakery solely.
1928: Lots 14 and 15 in Block 10, with a five room house, were sold to Carrie E. Dryden Spain by S.J. Capps and Sons who got it through a default on payments.
1933: Mrs. Bertha Boyd has taken management of her Star Service Station at Francisco and Main streets, opposite the bank.
1939: With five new oil wells to be drilled near the Tompkins-Ojo structures near La Veta, the town anticipates a surge of business this year. There are no empty houses here and all apartments are filled.
1945: Lillian M. Duzenack, 22, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Duzenack of La Veta, was graduated recently from Naval Training School at Iowa State Teachers College.
1951: The Musical Department of the high school, under the direction of P.W. Richert, gave an interesting program in which the boys and girls glee clubs singing and piano solos were featured.
1956: Huerfano County had its best tax collection in years in 1955, with payments representing 97.2 percent or $578,227.47.
1961: A very large group of young people enjoyed an ice skating party over the school holidays at the Holman reservoir. Included were the college students home for their vacation.
1966: In the annual drawing for the Number 1 and Number 2 Huerfano County license plates, Ben Seaman won first and Tony Masinton gets No. 2.
1971: Carl Vernon has retired from 29 years of active military service and he, his wife Frances and son Larry are living at the John O. Goemmer residence south of La Veta. Their daughter Alice recently married Larry W. Speelman and will remain in California.
1976: Lola Masinton announces she will teach knitting classes on Wednesday evenings in Norma’s Fabrics in the Valley Hardware building.
1981: Christmas and New Year’s were very different from usual in the Cuchara V alley due to a lack of snow for winter activities.
1988: Cuchara Valley Resort will have a “How the West Was Fun” day Friday with discounted tickets for those attending in Western garb.
1993: Marilyn Smith’s Fashions by Gianna store building was winner of the La Veta Cuchara Chamber of Commerce and San Isabel Electric Association‘s Christmas lighting contest in the business category.