by Nancy Christofferson
1881: Our new resident, George McLaren from Trinidad, is a contractor and builder. He this week is opening a lumber yard and will keep on hand a full line of eastern and native lumber.
1889: Mrs. Anderson’s restaurant, boarding and rooming house is moving to Lowenbruck’s new building from its current location next to John Brown’s store on the corner below Levy’s store.
1894: The “Busy Shop” is the name bestowed by Paul Frohlich and William White on their new blacksmith’s establishment on Seventh Street.
1900: A new sign, “Restaurant”, now graces the short order house of James Brown on Main Street.
1905: The Walsenburg Foundry and Machine Shops was organized with a capitalization of $50,000 to build a foundry on West Fourth Street near the electric plant. Incorporators are Fred O. Roof, J.B. Farr, George Fruth, J.J. Pritchard, James Autrey, Adolph Unfug and Ernst Ruth.
1910: Luigi Yanocci sold his macaroni factory on Seventh Street and moved his family from town.
1916: Francis X. Bushman and Beverly Bayne in “Diplomatic Service”, showing at the Strand Theater December 12.
1922: Cameron will have a big community dedication of the new school building just completed. Classes have been held in the Y since the old school house burned down last January.
1927: Twenty-two people representing ten countries, Italy, Greece, Hungary, Poland, Jugo-Slavia, Spain, Austria, France, Czech-Slovakia and Russia, have applied for their naturalization December 12.
1932: Eight natives of Italy, one of Poland and one of Greece appeared before Judge McChesney Tuesday for naturalization.
1937: A $3,295 remodeling project in the county court house began last Thursday by Works Progress Administration crews. Twelve of the men have started remodeling the court room.
1942: Our pioneer Luz Gonzales has died at the age of 78. Born in 1864, he arrived in Huerfano County in 1867, where he served as county assessor, deputy assessor and Justice of the Peace. In 1884 he married Margarita Vallejos and the couple had eight children before she died in 1924.
1948: Virginia Sandoval of Gardner and Esequel Rodrigues of Redwing were married Sunday in Sacred Heart Church in Gardner, followed by a wedding dance in the Farisita Hall.
1953: Henry Topping, formerly of Walsenburg, became lost in the Mesa de Mayo area east of Trinidad while hunting deer with companions and became the object of a search party.
1958: Honored by the Huerfano County Historical Society for being over 80 years old and residing in the county for more than 50 years were Claudio Gonzales, Juan A. Medina, Isais Medina, Jose Vicente Vigil, Harry Capps, Dr. W.S. Chapman, Timothy Hudson, Mr. and Mrs. A.N. Erwin, Lida Meyer, Bertha Boyd, Charles Powell, John Elley, Margaret Garston, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Hammond, Mrs. James B. Dick and James Firm.
1964: Marianne Habib, senior at St. Mary High School, won the annual Bausch and Lomb Science Award for the school.
1970: Between 700 and 800 turned out for the first Chamber of Commerce holiday drawing last Saturday when Priscilla Romero of South Champa Street won the $100 merchant’s certificate.
1976: Walsenburg Mennonite Church will have special services Sunday to celebrate the 11th anniversary of the establishment of the church and to dedicate a newly remodeled sanctuary.
1982: Walsenburg High School’s sophomore class officers are Kallie Krier, president, Lisa Ritz, vice president, Natalie Benine, secretary and Judy Cruz, treasurer.
1988: Lathrop State Park will have its second annual Christmas Open House on December 16 when Santa Claus will be present.
1994: Mohammed A. and Renate Neiazy of Germany have purchased the Rio Cucharas Inn from Sam Patel and plan to open the swimming pool, health club and spa before January 1, 1995 and build back the nine rooms at the west end of the complex that were destroyed by fire .
1876: Our new town board met in a special meeting to plan the construction of the calaboose. Field and Hill offered to furnish the nails on a three months term and Mrs. Lawrence and Mr. Silver would furnish the lumber on the same terms, with ten percent interest.
1882: Frank Hill has organized a dramatic club to furnish plays this winter with Mrs. Bump, the Misses Davis, Warren and Slayman, J.G. Cozad, E.G. Berry, Andrew Lougheed, Charles Baylis and R.J. Patterson.
1888: The Baptist and Methodist churches will have their usual union Christmas tree with gifts for the young and infirm.
1895: Arthur McDuffee has moved his printing outfit for the La Veta Herald to Aguilar and will get out his first paper next week. The Advertiser will move to the building which the Herald has vacated.
1901: Ed Collier, who purchased the old Frankenberry place on Middle Creek a short time ago, has moved there and opened a coal mine back of the house.
1906: Benton Vories has rented the Frank Hayes ranch south of town and will work it this season. His position at the meat market will be filled by Fred Dryden.
1911: Thirty-four tons of coal, averaging forty tons to the [railroad] car, were pulled from the Oakview mine Tuesday, plus four more tons from the Alliance were shipped.
1917: The town is offering a $25.00 reward for the conviction of the party who broke down the newly erected “traffic cop” at the intersection of Main Street and Ryus Avenue yesterday.
1923: J.T. Manning has purchased the Main Street home of Mr. and Mrs. T.P. Steele who are moving to Walsenburg.
1928: Mr. and Mrs. George Sinclair have retired from the management of the Spanish Peaks Hotel and Mrs. Ghiardi and Mrs. Gross will take over with Mrs. Dickinson assisting in the culinary department.
1933: A little more gravel on the upper part of Pinon Hill would eliminate almost all skidding, and the material is right handy.
1938: Died, Ellin, the wife of Fred Peterson. She was born in Sweden in 1856 and married Fred there. In 1893 the couple moved to Trinidad and lived there about 20 years before buying part of the Charles Mack ranch on the Cucharas. Of three children, only August survives.
1944: Margaret Cruz, junior, and Jewell Parker, sophomore, were the only students at the high school to achieve all A’s for the second six weeks grading period.
1949: The average purchase price at the first annual Huerfano County Hereford Breeders Association sale amounted to $579, with bulls averaging $606.40 and heifers $388.31.
1955: George Drury and Sons’ 1,100 acre ranch south of town and land higher up in the valley have been sold and Mr. and Mrs. Drury purchased the Warren Farrar place in south La Veta to live in.
1961: According to the 1960 census, there are 2,705 males and 2,768 females residing in Huerfano County.
1967: No fewer than 95 people attended the Bingo Party in Odd Fellows Hall last Saturday night.
1972: Francisco Fort Museum Gift Shop will be open from 1 to 4 daily until December 24 with Mrs. Kate Gross on hand.
1977: A preliminary general fund budget of $409,200 has been approved by Re-2 School board, based on a 36.02 mill levy on the district valuation of $5,270,165.
1983: Shops now open in Cuchara Valley Resort are Ski What Sports Center belonging to Charlie and Joanne Pride and James and Peggy Maytubby, the Village Shop owned and managed by Randy and Toni Barrett assisted by Nancy Sudderth, and the Mountain Rose of Karen and Lowell Goemmer and Ben and Joan Eagle.