1883: Superintendent Charles Lamb of the Walsenburg coal banks and Dr. M.OL. Felkner and one or two others spent Friday and Saturday across Veta Pass fishing in Trinchera Creek. While there the doctor took up a homestead claim on the only remaining ranch on the creek.
1889: George McLaren won the contract to build the new $2,275 Methodist Episcopal church on Capitol Hill.
1894: Baxter and Kearns Trading has purchased the remaining stock of the W.A. Kearns Company and moved it into their store.
1900: School District #4, Walsenburg, now has a school population of 601, including Beeville which is in the lower end of the district. This number is an increase of 61 over last year.
1906: Graduating from eighth grade at Pictou are Jennie Sherwood, Bertha Riley, Edmund Mead, Maggie Petmucky and Charlotte Trembath.
1911: Mrs. J.B. Johnson entertained in honor of her daughter Mrs. Fred Walsen whose family is moving to Denver.
1917: The school bond issue for the erection and maintenance of high schools in Huerfano County was defeated 287-252.
1923: Ten miners were killed in an explosion of the Rocky Mountain Fuel Company’s Southwestern mine near Aguilar last Saturday.
1929: Dr. Lamme treated a truck driver for concussion after the man was injured by the loud trumpeting of the elephant he was transporting.
1934: Standard Motor Company is the oldest auto dealership in Walsenburg, established in 1916 by Mike Reviglio at 710 Main Street.
1939: Fifty foreign aliens will take their citizenship tests in Walsenburg on June 20.
1944: A large group of Walsenburg and Huerfano County representatives are expected to attend the postwar planning meeting in Colorado Springs Monday.
1950: Weather Observer George Thurston says Walsenburg has received a deficiency of four inches in the amount of moisture so far this year with 3.32 inches, compared to 15.03 in all of last year and the 12-year average of 14.42
1956: Tonight through Saturday at the Fox Theater, Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Trouble With Harry”, plus 17 rock and roll hit tunes in “Rock Around the Clock”.
1962: Thieves took two bottles of whiskey and about $60 in cash sometime early last Saturday morning in a break-in of the V.F. W. home in the 100 block of West Sixth Street.
1968: Junior and Misses 100 % Cotton Terry Velour Shells and Jamaica Shorts, two sets $5.00. J.C. Penney.
1974: In commemoration of its 50th anniversary, Chapter BZ, PEO, will plant flowering trees on the triangle at the corner of Pennsylvania and Main streets.
1980: Navajo Ranch Resorts IV, the final section in the 2,800 acre subdivision, was approved by Huerfano Planning and Zoning Commission. Street and water line construction will begin immediately.
1986: Gail and Larry Freier will open Gail’s Café May 15 at the junction of Highway 10 and I-25 with new decorations, menu and homemade pastries and desserts.
1992: A Texas man was fined $1,000 and $388 in court costs for operating as an outfitter in Huerfano County without a license and registration.
1877: Of course the Denver and Rio Grande deserves credit for the energy in pushing on despite its fearful contemplation that the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe should tread on its corns and grasp the much coveted route to the San Juans and New Mexico, but labor, that great mainspring of enterprise, should first be recognized by them. (?)
1886: Town board ordered Marshal J.S. Barnes to enforce the ordinance concerning livestock running at large and impound all animals found within town limits.
1892: Town Board ordered Marshal Oliver Bemen to clean up and fix the town Jail.
1898: Town Board met in special session to discuss the smallpox problem and resolved that no man shall come to La Veta with the railroad from anywhere in the state and that the railroad building contractors must move their quarantine tent from town limits within 24 hours.
1904: More than 20 houses are now connected to the new water works and J.K. Kincaid was the first to pay his water bill.
1910: Our new fire brigade will consist of T.P. Steele, chief, Frank Hamilton, J.F. Erwin, George Hansen, George Coleman, Trix Brennan, Robert Ownbey, Walter Nuttall, Theodore Gibbons and Elmer Shoemaker.
1916: A move has been started by the Trinidad Chamber of Commerce for a new scenic highway for auto tourists from Trinidad northwest across the pass between the range and the West Spanish Peak, where there already is a passable route, through La Veta to Walsenburg.
1922: For Sale: 160 acre ranch three and a half miles south of La Veta, 20 acres in alfalfa, 40 in wheat, well, fairly good buildings, chicken sheds, school bus passes door. Apply to John Bruce.
1928: Miss Minnie Adamson is having another cottage put up in her park for campers on Oak Street.
1934: The season’s opening dance was Saturday at the Sulphur Springs. Carl Hartman of Pueblo is manager and Walter Johnson of Alamosa is in charge of the confectionery.
1940: A Junior Chamber of Commerce was organized Friday evening with William Feldman, president, Walter Padilla, first vice president, S.W. Pressey Jr., second vice, Don Roesner, secretary and Joe Kincaid, treasurer.
1945: Advertisement: Jim’s Pool Hall. We have Dr. Pepper, Grapette and 7-Up, 3.2 Beer, Cigars. Play More Pool!
1951: The interior of the La Veta Gamble store has been completely remodeled and a deep freezer added for frozen foods.
1958: The Huajatolla Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will be in charge of the program at the dedication and grand opening of the new Francisco Museum in La Veta May 25.
1964: Larry Morneau and his band from Pueblo will play for the junior senior prom May 16 following the annual banquet.
1970: Died, Susan A. Behrman, 81, born on the Santa Clara ranch of her parents Mr. and Mrs. S.J. Capps. She was married to Andrew Behrman in 1912 by her father, a justice of the peace.
1976: The deputy quit and Marshal Ron Skidmore is accepting applications in person in Town Hall.
1982: Some $700,000 in building permits were taken in April for new housing units in the La Veta and Cuchara areas.
1988: La Veta Library will sponsor a program by octogenarian photographer Glenn Aultman of Trinidad Saturday, June 4.