Your best source for news in Huerfano | Las Animas | Colfax

Navajo Yei wool rug resides at Trinidad History Museum

TRINIDAD — Kirby Stokes, Trinidad History Museum Director (left), and Abigail Melton, Education Coordinator, pose with an antique Navajo Yei wool rug on loan to the museum from the Zion Lutheran church in Trinidad. The rug was previously owned by the Samuels family in the 1800’s and hung on display in Trinidad’s old Coronado Hotel for many years. The church acquired the rug in the 1980’s and it had been on loan to the A.R. Mitchell Museum for the last few years. The History museum is currently developing a wool studio in the historic Baca house where the rug will be one of the main features of this exhibit. The wool studio will be an interactive part of the Baca House tour. Original owner and builder of Baca house, Felipe Baca, was one of the early founders of Trinidad and a sheep rancher. He was a creative business genius and entrepreneur who once paid for a mansion with 22,000 pounds of wool. Melton is the museum’s new Education Coordinator who moved to Trinidad in late November 2017 from Pensacola, Florida. She was previously with the University of West Florida Historic Trust and will be coordinating the youth program and adult education programs. The museum is located at 300 E. Main street and is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 to 4 pm. Tours start at 11 am and continue on the hour throughout the day. Call 719-846-7217 for more information. Photo by Joy Gipson

Latest from Community

Sports briefs

Track:     Soccer: Trinidad girls soccer opens season with win TRINIDAD
Go to Top