LA VETA — La Veta middle and high school students attended the Colorado Science and Engineering Fair in Fort
Collins at CSU in April.
This competition was the culmination of eight months of work for the majority of the students.
Ten students qualified to compete at the fair. The following students attended: Jaycee LaGow, Lena Noordick, Cassie Blew, Dalton Mason, Lexy Guadagnoli, Sarah Duzenack, Brecken Dobbs, Clinton Kelly, Cavin McCay, and Kaleb Andretta. The students competed against approximately 340 students from across the state.
La Veta students performed exceptionally well at the fair. Students received the following awards:
- Jaycee Lagow and Lena Noordic- Rocky Mountain Water Environment Award (certificate & $400), a nomination to compete at the Genius Olympiad in Oswego, New York in June, and a nomination to compete for the Broadcom competition for middle school.
- Brecken Dobbs- Colorado Dental Association Award (certificate & $50).
- Sarah Duzenack- Colorado Mycological Society Award (Book & $100), CSU College of Agricultural Sciences Award (Certificate & $500) CSU Dept of Horticulture & Landscape Architecture Award (certificate & $150), a nomination to enter the Broadcom competition for Middle school, 4th Place Grand Award in Plant Sciences Junior Division.
- Cassie Blew- Honorable Mention Grand Award in Behavioral Science in Senior Division.
- Cavin McCay and Kaleb Andreatta- 4th Place grand awards in Chemistry in Junior Division.
- Lexy Guadagnoli- nomination to enter the Broadcom competition for middle school students.
Photo courtesy Pat Keeling and Shelley Kern.