by Eric Mullens
WALSENBURG — The Huerfano County Commissioners Tuesday extended the moratorium banning any new conditional use applications for commercial marijuana or hemp grows in the county through October 21, 2017.
The board passed Resolution 17-86 unanimously, and set a public hearing on the new county marijuana / hemp regulations for 5:30 pm, Thursday, August 24. The public hearing will be held at the Fox Theatre, 715 Main St., Walsenburg. The public hearing will be conducted by the board of commissioners and the Huerfano County Planning Commission and will review the proposed new county marijuana regulations as designed by McCool Development, the consultant hired by the county earlier this year. The motion to approve the resolution was made by commissioner Gerald Cisneros.
The draft new regulations Section 18.00, Commercial Marijuana and Hemp is available for review online at http:/huerfano.us/uploads/land-use-office/regulations/DRAFT-Section-18.00R1.pdf, or may be reviewed at the county land use office, 400 Main Street (Train Depot) Suite B. Questions may be directed to that office at 738-1220, extension 108 or 103 or via email to email@example.com.
During the regular meeting, the commissioners unanimously approved the compliance review of Pops Farm (CUP 15-005) with some conditions eliminated the applicant, Phil Cummings, approved of. The motion to approve the modified conditional use permit was made by commissioner Max Vezzani.
In other business:
• The commissioners heard from David Wise representing the Spanish Peaks Community Foundation regarding the county lease of the Fox Theatre with the foundation. There have been some slight changes the foundation wanted and the lease will be reviewed this week by Wise and Huerfano County Administrator John Galusha. It is expected the item will be back before the commissioners next week for consideration of approval
• The commissioners approved a quote of $7,250 for roof repairs at the district attorney’s office in Walsenburg with Turner Roofing. The county will likely file an insurance claim to offset the cost due to damage the roof suffered in a May 2017 hail storm.
• The board approved an Intergovernmental Agreement with the commissioners and county clerk for election services for the November 2017 General Election.
• Commissioners approved a $5,000 expenditure with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment for development of a source water protection plan for the Gardner WSD.
• Approved a $2,166 expenditure for the purchase of 12 5X8’ nylon U.S flags; 12 5X8’ nylon Colorado flags; 12 4X6 nylon U.S. flags and 12 4X6’ Colorado flags from Flags USA of Bartlett, IL.
• The commissioners approved a rental fee waiver request from Cleo Bellah for use of a room at the community center in Walsenburg for meetings each Sunday through December 2017; but did not approve a request for a waiver of the deposit fee.
• The commissioners approved Resolution 17-85 recognizing U.S. Army Veteran Norman J. Terrell. Terrell was a sergeant stationed at Honsdale, PA. Normal L. Terrell Day is August 13, 2017 in Huerfano County.